Total Pageviews

It's about food, restaurants, recipes and just plain eating.


Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Not Leftovers - Reincarnation!

Do you save all those packets of ketchup, mustard, soy sauce and other condiments that come with your take out order? I know I do. I often use the ketchup when I just need a spoonful or so if I 'm making baked beans, cocktail sauce or something else requiring "just a bit". I usually don't even keep a bottle of ketchup in the fridge - unless my packets are all gone.

I also keep packets of soy sauce, egg roll sauce, taco sauce, barbecue sauce, honey mustard and just about anything else that I haven't used up with the meal. They come in handy.

Today, I'm trying an experiment. Some time ago we had tacos and there were many packets of red & green, mild & hot taco sauce left over. A couple days ago we had take out chicken and nearly half of it was left. Yesterday I made rice pilaf (think homemade Rice-A-Roni if you're unfamiliar with this dish). Today my lunch is going to be Arroz con Pollo en salsa verde (rice & chicken in green sauce).
I got out my trusty lunch crock reheating machine - read about this little wonder here, here & here - and added the leftover rice pilaf. Chunks of leftover chicken went on top and a couple packets of green taco sauce from the Bell of the Taco, popped on the lid and plugged it in. In a few hours - piping hot chicken & rice in spicy green sauce!

I think I'll write a book & call it The Ketchup Packet Cookbook and include all my recipes that rely on packets of leftover condiments. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quotable quotes; in the category Food For Thought?

"Leftovers in their less visible form are called memories. Stored in the refrigerator of the mind and the cupboard of the heart."  Thomas Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment