Total Pageviews

It's about food, restaurants, recipes and just plain eating.


Monday, June 2, 2014

Bento!

It's been a long time since I posted about bento - mostly because I have not been making or eating them (except in my mind).

Here is a sort of "fusion" bento I made which was quite tasty and attractive.  Since we "eat with our eyes" looks actually ARE everything!


The bento contains, clockwise from upper left, mini ham & cheese sandwiches on homemade bread; a "kinpira" of sliced carrot, peppers & onions cooked in sesame oil with mirin, red pepper flakes, sake & soy sauce; a Japanese style potato salad - potatoes & carrots doused with a little mirin, rice vinegar, a pinch of sugar & salt, then dressed with mayonnaise and garnished with oven roasted tomatoes; and sliced nectarine.

I had intended to add a few boiled edamame but I forgot until it was too late.  As it was, I could only finish half the potato salad & kinpira.  I kept the leftovers for the next day & enjoyed them again.

Even though this bento is packed in a serviceable but plain plastic sandwich box, it's still pleasing to the eye as well as the stomach.  Enjoy your bento and let me know what  you had!

Quotable quotes; in the category If You Ain't Got This You Ain't Got Nothin'!

"A kitchen without a knife if not a kitchen."  Masaharu Morimoto, Japanese Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment