Total Pageviews

It's about food, restaurants, recipes and just plain eating.


Thursday, September 13, 2012

I Say Potato

I love potatoes.  Mashed, fried, French fried, boiled with butter and parsley and perhaps best of all, roasted.  I love the way they get brown and crusty and the way the skins get crackly.  Trouble is, I am the only one in the house that likes them.  The Man tolerates them but does not appreciate their golden goodness, their crisped edges or their wholesome skin-included goodness.  Consequently I either don't make them or I make too many and often toss the leftovers (I have not yet found a perfect way to prepare leftover potatoes).

But last night I had an inspiration.  I knew I would be making roasted chicken and I wanted to make potatoes with it.  I thought of only cooking a couple, then I decided to cook the usual number and to try making potato salad from the leftover potatoes.

I used red potatoes and new, white potatoes, both with thin skins.  I scrubbed and quartered them, added them to the roasting pan with the chicken, dribbled a little olive oil over them (okay, I confess - I cheated and sprayed them with vegetable oil spray) and sprinkled seasonings - salt, pepper, salt free seasoning blend - and popped them in the oven.  After an hour or so the chicken was done and the potatoes were delicious and browned, tender inside and crusty outside.

Later, I cut the remaining potato pieces into smaller chunks and tossed them with some dill and sweet pickle relish and some mustard (pickle juice is also excellent but I did not have an open jar and would still have had to mince some pickle).  I seasoned with a little more salt & pepper and added diced celery, a couple blobs of mayonnaise, tossed, and set it in the fridge.

It's good.  The potatoes, while tender, are a bit firmer than if they had been boiled, and the roasted flavor comes trhough.  It's similar to but different from other potato salads.  Try this and add your own touches.

Quotable quotes; in the category I Don't Know, They May Solve Some Of  Mine. . . . And I'm Willing To Try!

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."  Douglas Adams, English writer, humorist.

No comments:

Post a Comment