Total Pageviews

It's about food, restaurants, recipes and just plain eating.


Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Do You Call These?

If you read my bento posts you know that tamagoyaki is practically my favorite part of any bento.  Another favorite is budo mame.  As near as I can tell, budo mame means soybeans simmered until tender then simmered in sugar and soy sauce until caramelized.  They are, in my humble opinion, delicious.  Sweet, tangy, toothsome and tasty.

Of course, they don't really get totally tender.  Either that or I have never let them cook long enough.  My recipe says 4 -5 hours.  I skimped on that last time and the beans were decidedly not tender.  Not crunchy, but with lots of texture.

This is a recipe I do not make often.  Not because it's difficult - it's actually remarkably easy requiring only a few steps (soaking the beans, simmering the beans, skimming and adding water as needed and simmering in sugar and soy sauce at the end).  No, I don't make them often because by the time I think of them it's too late to soak them overnight and to simmer them the required 4 - 5 hours.

Never mind.  You are much more organized and forward thinking than I and you will get the beans soaking and cooking well in advance of when they will be wanted. 

For an "official" recipe visit my very favorite bento web site.  The recipe is here.  Enjoy!

Quotable quotes; in the category Having Your Cake And Eating It Too Is A Snap Compared To This!

"Wishing to eat the fugu, but wishing to live too."  Japanese proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment